The Pulse on the Economy and Capital Markets: Jan 10 – Jan 14, 2022
January 18, 2022
At a glance:
- The markets switched things up last week as U.S. stocks declined and international stocks rebounded. In contrast, emerging markets held strong despite the decline in the U.S. dollar and increase in commodity costs.
- The consumer price index (CPI) reached its highest reading in more than 30 years. Markets are expecting the Federal Reserve to respond aggressively by raising rates 3-to-4 times this year.
- Although an increase in mortgage rates is likely, it has not slowed the high demand for residential housing.
- Inflation remains top of mind for business owners and investors. Manufacturers’ pricing begins to normalize while pricing for service companies, specifically transportation and warehousing, remains elevated.
- Supply chain constraints are feeling less congested as delivery times start to improve for both manufacturing and services.
- As it relates to industry news, we’re reading about the arrival of wage inflation, high demand in residential housing despite increasing mortgage rates and Interscope Records celebrates 30 years and their impact on the music world.
- Wage inflation has arrived in a big way and Jamie Dimon says CEOs ‘shouldn’t be crybabies about it’
- Housing market: Homes in high demand despite rising mortgage rates
- Westchester runs out of home listings in rush to NYC suburbs
- Interscope at 30: A chat with the heads of the world’s biggest record label
Investment advisory services are offered by Aprio Wealth Management, LLC, a Securities and Exchange Commission Registered Investment Advisor. Opinions expressed are as of the current date (January 18th, 2022) and subject to change without notice. Aprio Wealth Management, LLC shall not be responsible for any trading decisions, damages, or other losses resulting from, or related to, the information, data, analyses or opinions contained herein or their use, which do not constitute investment advice, are provided as of the date written, are provided solely for informational purposes and therefore are not an offer to buy or sell a security. This commentary is for informational purposes only and has not been tailored to suit any individual. References to specific securities or investment options should not be considered an offer to purchase or sell that specific investment.
This commentary contains certain forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors which may cause the actual results to differ materially and/or substantially from any future results, performance or achievements expressed or implied by those projected in the forward-looking statements for any reason.
No graph, chart, or formula in this presentation can be used in and of itself to determine which securities to buy or sell, when to buy or sell securities, whether to invest using this investment strategy, or whether to engage Aprio Wealth Management, LLC’s investment advisory services.
Investments in securities are subject to investment risk, including possible loss of principal. Prices of securities may fluctuate from time to time and may even become valueless. Any securities mentioned in this commentary are not FDIC-insured, may lose value, and are not guaranteed by a bank or other financial institution. Before making any investment decision, investors should read and consider all the relevant investment product information. Investors should seriously consider if the investment is suitable for them by referencing their own financial position, investment objectives, and risk profile before making any investment decision. There can be no assurance that any financial strategy will be successful.
Securities offered through Purshe Kaplan Sterling Investments. Member FINRA/SIPC. Investment Advisory Services offered through Aprio Wealth Management, LLC, a registered investment advisor. Aprio Wealth Management, LLC and the Aprio Group of Companies are not affiliated with Purshe Kaplan Sterling Investments.
About the Author
Chief Investment Officer At Aprio Wealth Management At Aprio Simeon is the Chief Investment Officer of Aprio Wealth Management and the Director of Aprio Family Office. Simeon brings two decades of professional investing experience in publicly traded and privately held companies, as well as senior-level operating and strategy consulting experiences.