The Pulse on the Economy and Capital Markets: May 16–20, 2022
May 24, 2022
At a glance
- Investors are growing more concerned about stagflation versus inflation when it comes to the financial markets and economy.
- Risk assets like US stocks and cryptocurrency saw steep declines last week, while government and investment-grade bonds and commodities moved higher.
- Not only is inflation affecting consumers, but it is also impacting major retailers like Walmart and Target, which became evident after the companies released dismal earnings reports. About $110 billion of value between the two companies evaporated over the course of five days.
- Walmart and Target are among the many retailers grappling with shifts in consumers’ buying behaviors. Consumers are spending more money on basic items like food instead of discretionary items like electronics, which is having a negative impact on inventory amid already-stretched supply chains.
- In terms of industry news, we’re reading about a new development in the crypto market, the US’s growth trajectory versus China, traveling post-pandemic and how inflation is impacting American farmers.
- US growth seen outpacing China’s for first time since 1976
- Crypto exchange FTX US moves into stock trading
- Travel demand is back to pre-pandemic levels and what it means to you this summer
- US farmers under pressure and on the front lines of food inflation amid price spikes
Investment advisory services are offered by Aprio Wealth Management, LLC, a Securities and Exchange Commission Registered Investment Advisor. Opinions expressed are as of the current date (May 24th, 2022) and subject to change without notice. Aprio Wealth Management, LLC shall not be responsible for any trading decisions, damages, or other losses resulting from, or related to, the information, data, analyses or opinions contained herein or their use, which do not constitute investment advice, are provided as of the date written, are provided solely for informational purposes and therefore are not an offer to buy or sell a security. This commentary is for informational purposes only and has not been tailored to suit any individual. References to specific securities or investment options should not be considered an offer to purchase or sell that specific investment.
This commentary contains certain forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors which may cause the actual results to differ materially and/or substantially from any future results, performance or achievements expressed or implied by those projected in the forward-looking statements for any reason.
No graph, chart, or formula in this presentation can be used in and of itself to determine which securities to buy or sell, when to buy or sell securities, whether to invest using this investment strategy, or whether to engage Aprio Wealth Management, LLC’s investment advisory services.
Investments in securities are subject to investment risk, including possible loss of principal. Prices of securities may fluctuate from time to time and may even become valueless. Any securities mentioned in this commentary are not FDIC-insured, may lose value, and are not guaranteed by a bank or other financial institution. Before making any investment decision, investors should read and consider all the relevant investment product information. Investors should seriously consider if the investment is suitable for them by referencing their own financial position, investment objectives, and risk profile before making any investment decision. There can be no assurance that any financial strategy will be successful.
Securities offered through Purshe Kaplan Sterling Investments. Member FINRA/SIPC. Investment Advisory Services offered through Aprio Wealth Management, LLC, a registered investment advisor. Aprio Wealth Management, LLC and the Aprio Group of Companies are not affiliated with Purshe Kaplan Sterling Investments.
Stay informed with Aprio.
Get industry news and leading insights delivered straight to your inbox.
About the Author
Simeon is the Chief Investment Officer of Aprio Wealth Management and the Director of Aprio Family Office. Simeon brings two decades of professional investing experience in publicly traded and privately held companies, as well as senior-level operating and strategy consulting experiences.