The Pulse on the Economy and Capital Markets: May 9 – 13, 2022
May 17, 2022
At a glance:
- This year started out as one of the worst in decades for stock and bond markets as investors worried about growth and rising inflation.
- Riskier segments, such as the Nasdaq and the Russell 2000, experienced a few difficult weeks at the start of the quarter as several well-known companies missed growth targets.
- While commodities, crypto and bitcoin hit significant declines, the bond market rallied for the first time in six weeks as investors are tempted by higher yields.
- The CPI and PPI data implies year-over-year inflation increases have likely peaked, yet the decline has been slower than expected.
- The costs of shelter for rent and homeownership jumped nationally by 4.9% year-over-year despite a supply and demand problem, especially in warmer states which has seen a spike in population since the pandemic.
- Terra’s stablecoin structure unravels on a wild day for LUNA’s collapse
- Tech is hitting the brakes on hiring even as other industries keep adding jobs
- apartment renters renewing leases at record levels, even as rent increases
- Hedge fund winners and losers emerge in brutal tech-driven sell-off
Investment advisory services are offered by Aprio Wealth Management, LLC, a Securities and Exchange Commission Registered Investment Advisor. Opinions expressed are as of the current date (May 17th, 2022) and subject to change without notice. Aprio Wealth Management, LLC shall not be responsible for any trading decisions, damages, or other losses resulting from, or related to, the information, data, analyses or opinions contained herein or their use, which do not constitute investment advice, are provided as of the date written, are provided solely for informational purposes and therefore are not an offer to buy or sell a security. This commentary is for informational purposes only and has not been tailored to suit any individual. References to specific securities or investment options should not be considered an offer to purchase or sell that specific investment.
This commentary contains certain forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors which may cause the actual results to differ materially and/or substantially from any future results, performance or achievements expressed or implied by those projected in the forward-looking statements for any reason.
No graph, chart, or formula in this presentation can be used in and of itself to determine which securities to buy or sell, when to buy or sell securities, whether to invest using this investment strategy, or whether to engage Aprio Wealth Management, LLC’s investment advisory services.
Investments in securities are subject to investment risk, including possible loss of principal. Prices of securities may fluctuate from time to time and may even become valueless. Any securities mentioned in this commentary are not FDIC-insured, may lose value, and are not guaranteed by a bank or other financial institution. Before making any investment decision, investors should read and consider all the relevant investment product information. Investors should seriously consider if the investment is suitable for them by referencing their own financial position, investment objectives, and risk profile before making any investment decision. There can be no assurance that any financial strategy will be successful.
Securities offered through Purshe Kaplan Sterling Investments. Member FINRA/SIPC. Investment Advisory Services offered through Aprio Wealth Management, LLC, a registered investment advisor. Aprio Wealth Management, LLC and the Aprio Group of Companies are not affiliated with Purshe Kaplan Sterling Investments.
About the Author
Chief Investment Officer At Aprio Wealth Management At Aprio Simeon is the Chief Investment Officer of Aprio Wealth Management and the Director of Aprio Family Office. Simeon brings two decades of professional investing experience in publicly traded and privately held companies, as well as senior-level operating and strategy consulting experiences.