Brett Williams, CPA, CCSFP
National Partner, Information Assurance Services
Brett Williams leverages his twenty plus years of focused business process and information technology controls experience to help small to midsized companies protect their operations from cyber threats. He has performed over 3,000 audit and compliance related engagements for companies across multiple industries including FinTech, healthcare, healthcare IT, technology, insurance, licensed gaming, telecommunications, and consumer and industrial products.
Brett has a deep understanding of business and IT processes, including data security and privacy as well as the impact that these processes have on IT applications, systems and networks as it relates to compliance requirements such as GDPR, FISMA, FedRAMP, HITRUST and HIPPA.
Brett has a strong track record with clients across the nation providing:
- Cyber security and privacy risk assessments and guidance on risk management and compliance strategies and tactics (e.g., ISO 27001, GDPR, HIPAA, HITRUST and NIST 800-53);
- Special Attestation Reports (including SOC 1, SOC 2, AT-C 105, AT-C 205, GDPR, and ISO 27001);
- HIPPA and data security and privacy readiness assessments;
- HITRUST Assessments, as a Certified CSF HITRUST Practitioner (CCSFP); and
- Compliance with Section 404 of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act.
Brett brings a depth of leadership to the firm. Before joining Aprio, Brett was a partner at Grant Thornton serving as the firm’s Southeast Special Attestation Reporting (SAR) Practice Leader. In this role, his leadership and focus on client service scaled the practice from six people in 2011 to 40 professionals in 2019. As Grant Thornton’s Atlanta Office Advisory Leader, he grew the Atlanta Advisory office from one person in 2004 to 25 professionals in 2011.
Brett earned a Bachelor of Business Administration in Accounting from the University of Georgia. His professional affiliations include:
- Member of Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA)
Former Executive Officer and Steering Committee Member
- Member of American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA), and
- Member of the Georgia Society of CPAs.