The Pulse on the Economy and Capital Markets: September 13–17, 2021
September 21, 2021
At a glance:
Last week, we continued to see weakness in stocks, while bonds outperformed — signaling that investors are looking for safe havens amid uncertainty. Outside of the markets, new surveys on small business sentiment put a light on some interesting emerging trends. Some additional points to note are:
- Nerves are high among investors, who are still cautious about the future — and this showed up in last week’s performance. What should we expect going forward?
- Recent small business surveys took us back to trends from the 1970s. Here are the top trends you should know.
- More Americans are returning to the workforce from pandemic-induced layoffs, but the demographics are different than you may expect. We unpack the data.
- We’re reading about the rise of “yield farming,” ESG concerns related to China and a new lawsuit in the tech world that’s pulling focus toward data-sharing. Plus, we’re reading “The Facebook Files,” which is The Wall Street Journal’s investigative report into what happens behind the scenes at the social networking giant.
- The rise of Yield Farming: A beginner’s guide to passive income in Decentralized Finance (DeFi)
- How China’s pollution fight is roiling commodities
- DoorDash sues NYC over new data-sharing law
- The Facebook Files – the Wall Street Journal’s investigative report into a number of behind-the-scenes issues at the social network and its properties – link to the podcast
Investment advisory services are offered by Aprio Wealth Management, LLC, a Securities and Exchange Commission Registered Investment Advisor. Opinions expressed are as of the current date (September 21, 2021) and subject to change without notice. Aprio Wealth Management, LLC shall not be responsible for any trading decisions, damages, or other losses resulting from, or related to, the information, data, analyses or opinions contained herein or their use, which do not constitute investment advice, are provided as of the date written, are provided solely for informational purposes and therefore are not an offer to buy or sell a security. This commentary is for informational purposes only and has not been tailored to suit any individual. References to specific securities or investment options should not be considered an offer to purchase or sell that specific investment.
This commentary contains certain forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors which may cause the actual results to differ materially and/or substantially from any future results, performance or achievements expressed or implied by those projected in the forward-looking statements for any reason.
No graph, chart, or formula in this presentation can be used in and of itself to determine which securities to buy or sell, when to buy or sell securities, whether to invest using this investment strategy, or whether to engage Aprio Wealth Management, LLC’s investment advisory services.
Investments in securities are subject to investment risk, including possible loss of principal. Prices of securities may fluctuate from time to time and may even become valueless. Any securities mentioned in this commentary are not FDIC-insured, may lose value, and are not guaranteed by a bank or other financial institution. Before making any investment decision, investors should read and consider all the relevant investment product information. Investors should seriously consider if the investment is suitable for them by referencing their own financial position, investment objectives, and risk profile before making any investment decision. There can be no assurance that any financial strategy will be successful.
Securities offered through Purshe Kaplan Sterling Investments. Member FINRA/SIPC. Investment Advisory Services offered through Aprio Wealth Management, LLC, a registered investment advisor. Aprio Wealth Management, LLC and the Aprio Group of Companies are not affiliated with Purshe Kaplan Sterling Investments.
About the Author
Chief Investment Officer At Aprio Wealth Management At Aprio Simeon is the Chief Investment Officer of Aprio Wealth Management and the Director of Aprio Family Office. Simeon brings two decades of professional investing experience in publicly traded and privately held companies, as well as senior-level operating and strategy consulting experiences.