The Pulse on the Economy and Capital Markets: Mar 7 – 11, 2022
March 15, 2022
At a glance
- Markets declined last week amid continued conflict in Ukraine and investors’ concerns about its widespread impact on the global community. Equity, fixed income, commodities and crypto markets were all down last week, a sign of the volatility that still lies ahead.
- February’s inflation report, which was released last week, showed that headline inflation was nearly 8% and core inflation was 6.4%, with both food and energy rising.
- While gas prices are going up, they matter much less than prior oil spikes, and according to the data, they will have less impact on consumers’ wallets over the longer term.
- With budget concerns reigning supreme among consumers, the streaming sector — which benefited from big gains during the COVID-19 pandemic — is on the decline. According to a new study, 40% of consumers report they will be canceling at least one service this year.
- In terms of industry news, we’re reading about new advances in autonomous vehicles, the multifamily sector’s current role in the housing shortage and what Uber is doing to shore up high gas prices for drivers. In the sports world, the Chelsea Football Club faces financial peril.
- Chelsea Football Club financially perilous after Abramovich is sanctioned
- Uber adds fuel surcharge because of high gas prices
- U.S. clears way for truly driverless vehicles without steering wheels
- Multifamily continues to fill housing shortage
Investment advisory services are offered by Aprio Wealth Management, LLC, a Securities and Exchange Commission Registered Investment Advisor. Opinions expressed are as of the current date (March 15th, 2022) and subject to change without notice. Aprio Wealth Management, LLC shall not be responsible for any trading decisions, damages, or other losses resulting from, or related to, the information, data, analyses or opinions contained herein or their use, which do not constitute investment advice, are provided as of the date written, are provided solely for informational purposes and therefore are not an offer to buy or sell a security. This commentary is for informational purposes only and has not been tailored to suit any individual. References to specific securities or investment options should not be considered an offer to purchase or sell that specific investment.
This commentary contains certain forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors which may cause the actual results to differ materially and/or substantially from any future results, performance or achievements expressed or implied by those projected in the forward-looking statements for any reason.
No graph, chart, or formula in this presentation can be used in and of itself to determine which securities to buy or sell, when to buy or sell securities, whether to invest using this investment strategy, or whether to engage Aprio Wealth Management, LLC’s investment advisory services.
Investments in securities are subject to investment risk, including possible loss of principal. Prices of securities may fluctuate from time to time and may even become valueless. Any securities mentioned in this commentary are not FDIC-insured, may lose value, and are not guaranteed by a bank or other financial institution. Before making any investment decision, investors should read and consider all the relevant investment product information. Investors should seriously consider if the investment is suitable for them by referencing their own financial position, investment objectives, and risk profile before making any investment decision. There can be no assurance that any financial strategy will be successful.
Securities offered through Purshe Kaplan Sterling Investments. Member FINRA/SIPC. Investment Advisory Services offered through Aprio Wealth Management, LLC, a registered investment advisor. Aprio Wealth Management, LLC and the Aprio Group of Companies are not affiliated with Purshe Kaplan Sterling Investments.
About the Author
Chief Investment Officer At Aprio Wealth Management At Aprio Simeon is the Chief Investment Officer of Aprio Wealth Management and the Director of Aprio Family Office. Simeon brings two decades of professional investing experience in publicly traded and privately held companies, as well as senior-level operating and strategy consulting experiences.