The Pulse on the Economy and Capital Markets: Mar 14 – 21, 2022
March 22, 2022
At a glance:
- The stock markets increased globally last week, even as the Fed announced the first of seven rate increases over the next year to combat inflation. This will bring the U.S. to a total increase of 1.75% to 2%.
- Investors embrace risk despite the announcement from the Fed, Nasdaq was up 8% and a Goldman Sachs composite of high growth, no profit tech companies increased more than 20% for the week.
- Despite the positive economic indicators, the Fed is worried about the impact inflation has on the consumer outlook. Even with a negative view on inflation, retail sales have remained positive for the last 6-to-7 months proving consumers are willing to spend money.
- Gas prices continue to rise nationally from less than $2 to more than $4. Retailers should prepare for consumers to shift their spending from discretionary and non-discretionary items and towards gas.
- As it relates to industry news, we’re reading about the passing of legendary investor and philanthropist, Michael Price, February housing starts were above expectations, Porsche in talks with Apple on possible joint projects and Chewy founder aims to bring an activist approach to Bed, Bath and Beyond.
- The passing of legendary investor and philanthropist, Michael Price
- February housing starts: Most housing units under construction since 1973
- Porsche discussed possible joint projects with Apple
- Chewy founder aims at fixing Bed, Bath and Beyond
Investment advisory services are offered by Aprio Wealth Management, LLC, a Securities and Exchange Commission Registered Investment Advisor. Opinions expressed are as of the current date (March 22nd, 2022) and subject to change without notice. Aprio Wealth Management, LLC shall not be responsible for any trading decisions, damages, or other losses resulting from, or related to, the information, data, analyses or opinions contained herein or their use, which do not constitute investment advice, are provided as of the date written, are provided solely for informational purposes and therefore are not an offer to buy or sell a security. This commentary is for informational purposes only and has not been tailored to suit any individual. References to specific securities or investment options should not be considered an offer to purchase or sell that specific investment.
This commentary contains certain forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors which may cause the actual results to differ materially and/or substantially from any future results, performance or achievements expressed or implied by those projected in the forward-looking statements for any reason.
No graph, chart, or formula in this presentation can be used in and of itself to determine which securities to buy or sell, when to buy or sell securities, whether to invest using this investment strategy, or whether to engage Aprio Wealth Management, LLC’s investment advisory services.
Investments in securities are subject to investment risk, including possible loss of principal. Prices of securities may fluctuate from time to time and may even become valueless. Any securities mentioned in this commentary are not FDIC-insured, may lose value, and are not guaranteed by a bank or other financial institution. Before making any investment decision, investors should read and consider all the relevant investment product information. Investors should seriously consider if the investment is suitable for them by referencing their own financial position, investment objectives, and risk profile before making any investment decision. There can be no assurance that any financial strategy will be successful.
Securities offered through Purshe Kaplan Sterling Investments. Member FINRA/SIPC. Investment Advisory Services offered through Aprio Wealth Management, LLC, a registered investment advisor. Aprio Wealth Management, LLC and the Aprio Group of Companies are not affiliated with Purshe Kaplan Sterling Investments.
About the Author
Chief Investment Officer At Aprio Wealth Management At Aprio Simeon is the Chief Investment Officer of Aprio Wealth Management and the Director of Aprio Family Office. Simeon brings two decades of professional investing experience in publicly traded and privately held companies, as well as senior-level operating and strategy consulting experiences.