The Pulse on the Economy and Capital Markets: Jan 17 – Jan 21, 2022
January 25, 2022
At a glance:
- The markets had another rough week as stocks declined 4% globally, and investors favor lower-risk assets.
- Investors continue to worry about inflation and how quickly the Fed will respond.
- The video game industry takes a giant leap towards the Metaverse as Take Two Interactive and Microsoft announce huge merger and acquisition deals.
- Inflation continues to wreak havoc, specifically on middle class consumers. The growing frustration is resulting in a decline of sales for restaurants and discount stores.
- As it relates to industry news, we’re reading about big deals taking place in the video game industry, Warren Buffet’s $3.9 billion renewable energy project in Iowa and Netflix quietly admits streaming competition is eating into growth.
- Microsoft Buys Scandal-Tainted Activision in Bet on Metaverse
- Mergers and acquisitions: Behind game industry deals during a pandemic
- Warren Buffett’s MidAmerican Energy plans $3.9 billion renewable project in Iowa
- Netflix quietly admits streaming competition is eating into growth
Investment advisory services are offered by Aprio Wealth Management, LLC, a Securities and Exchange Commission Registered Investment Advisor. Opinions expressed are as of the current date (January 25th, 2022) and subject to change without notice. Aprio Wealth Management, LLC shall not be responsible for any trading decisions, damages, or other losses resulting from, or related to, the information, data, analyses or opinions contained herein or their use, which do not constitute investment advice, are provided as of the date written, are provided solely for informational purposes and therefore are not an offer to buy or sell a security. This commentary is for informational purposes only and has not been tailored to suit any individual. References to specific securities or investment options should not be considered an offer to purchase or sell that specific investment.
This commentary contains certain forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors which may cause the actual results to differ materially and/or substantially from any future results, performance or achievements expressed or implied by those projected in the forward-looking statements for any reason.
No graph, chart, or formula in this presentation can be used in and of itself to determine which securities to buy or sell, when to buy or sell securities, whether to invest using this investment strategy, or whether to engage Aprio Wealth Management, LLC’s investment advisory services.
Investments in securities are subject to investment risk, including possible loss of principal. Prices of securities may fluctuate from time to time and may even become valueless. Any securities mentioned in this commentary are not FDIC-insured, may lose value, and are not guaranteed by a bank or other financial institution. Before making any investment decision, investors should read and consider all the relevant investment product information. Investors should seriously consider if the investment is suitable for them by referencing their own financial position, investment objectives, and risk profile before making any investment decision. There can be no assurance that any financial strategy will be successful.
Securities offered through Purshe Kaplan Sterling Investments. Member FINRA/SIPC. Investment Advisory Services offered through Aprio Wealth Management, LLC, a registered investment advisor. Aprio Wealth Management, LLC and the Aprio Group of Companies are not affiliated with Purshe Kaplan Sterling Investments.
Stay informed with Aprio.
Get industry news and leading insights delivered straight to your inbox.
About the Author
Simeon is the Chief Investment Officer of Aprio Wealth Management and the Director of Aprio Family Office. Simeon brings two decades of professional investing experience in publicly traded and privately held companies, as well as senior-level operating and strategy consulting experiences.